Monday, November 28, 2011

Kim's Scribe Post (Show you Know)

Show You Know:
Determine the percent of each number:


Part 1:








160% of $53.27= 85.22
1) I first took the number 100 because I know that if I have 100, 50, and 10, and 1 percent, I can solve any problem. I chose 100 because it seemed to be the easier number to start off with. I then divided the number into 2 (100÷2) to make 50. Together that makes 150, so I need that 10% more. From the 100, I divided it into 10 (100÷10) and that makes 10! On the money part, I calculated using the same method from the percent side and if you add them together, you get your answer. 160% = $85.22.

The second picture just shows a way I do it, if that's easier for you.


----------


3/4% of 135=
2) From the picture underneath the first one, I had to convert the fraction to make it into a decimal, and then a percentage to make it easier. That would make 3/4 turn into 75%. So for the first picture I just showed how 100 could make 75% by dividing 100 by two to make 50, and then dividing it again to make 25. I did this because 50+25= 75. The calculation would by 75%=101.25.


----------



55 8/10% of 500=
3) For the first picture, I divided 100 by two to make 50. From the 100, I also divided by 10 to make 10. From the 10, i divided by 2 and 10 to make 5 and 0.1. I then multiplied 0.1 (0.1 x 8 = 4) because if you didn't multiply, you would just have 55. I did this so I could find out the numbers to get to 55.8 percent. For the numbers side, all I did was use the same method on the other side to get my answer of 249. So overall, my answer would be 55.8 = 279.

The second picture shows a way kind of like the picture on top of it, but just how I do it. All I do is find out the numbers you usually use (100, 50, 25, 10, 1 percent) and then use the numbers you get to get your answer. The second picture shows how I converted first to get a clearer understanding, and then calculating my answer using mental math.



----------
Part 2:


350% of $10=
4) The top picture shows a T-Chart in which I took the percent (100%) and from that number, I found out what 300 percent was. I just had to multiply 100 x 3 which equals 300. The last step was pretty simple. You just had to divide 100 by 2 to get 50. Again, you use the same method you used on the percent part, and use the method for the money part. In other words, I think you could say that you just had to divide 350 by 10 to get $35. 350% of 10= $35.




----------



0.1% of 5 000=
5) The first picture shows that you have to divide. What I did was find out what 100÷100 and that equaled 1. To find 0.1%, you have to divide 1÷10 and that would equal 0.1%. On the number side, you had to divide 5 000 by 100 to get 50, then divide 10 to get 5. 1% of 5 000= 5.

The second picture is the same thing, but instead of dividing, I multiplied.



----------



2 1/10% of $20 000=
6) Finally for the last question, on the first picture it was basically the same thing as the second picture, except it isn't in T-Chart form.

On the second picture, I just had to start off with 100% and use another 100% to get 200%. I then just divided by 10 to get $2 000 and added the numbers all up! I used the same method for the money side.



----------

*I couldn't find a video... sorry... But I did find a video on another way you could find the percent of a number, just not in the way we do it.





Game links:


VISIT THIS WEBSITE FOR MORE VIDEOS ON THE OTHER WAY YOU CAN SOLVE IT! :)
http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/percent-of-number.html

*If I made any mistakes, please let me know!

16 comments:

  1. Awesome Job Kim i like how in every question you inserted a picture because i think it will help other people in our class what you are explaining and what your doing and how you got the answer t the question .It also makes your scribe post to stand out. i also tried the game and i think it is pretty OK and i like how you come up with another video because you could not find one but all in all i think i learned a lot from the scribe post and it helped me more how to find a percent.All in All you did a WONDERFUL JOB KIM LONTOC:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job, Kim! I liked how you organized your topics and subjects by using bold to be specific, italics on the sub-title and different colors for different sections. I love your pictures and your writing because I found it clear and simple. Also, you might want to add in that this was on (Section 4.3 Page 138 to 143) on Chapter 4 just in case someone wanted to check it out on eBook. I find it really nice that you showed how to do every question in 2 different ways (by pictures). You did a great job on this scribe post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Kim! It's nice how you have explained your answers for each questions, it makes it that much more understandable. I also liked how you added pictures and images for your answers, and the links and video were great. You did a great Job! keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Kim!you are a life saver!!!!to be honest,i was a little bit confused about the T-chart thing but the way you explained it in number 1 and all the rest, i felt relived and..well stupid.
    Funny how the link you posted, the finding percent thing, it's how find the percent of a number.. but thanks to you..i understand now. ^_^

    uhmm.. question though.. what exactly is the number for the last one? you solved it as 210% but in the bottom you placed 2 1/10%.. so which is which?
    just clarify that, but over all, it was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Kim! I understood everything you said because you explained everything well and the pictures are easy to understand and read. One thing you might want to do better in next time is make your post more interesting, if you want. Great job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job Kim! I liked how you explained each question and had a picture that showed each step. I also like how you have some words in bold and/or in different colors, it makes your scribe stand out and look organized. The video and the links were great! It made me understand percents and how to find a percent in a number a lot more, thanks for the help! (: Overall great job, Kim! Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Job Kim , I like how You Showed all your work also the pictures videos and links you added I also really liked the game because you can choose different prevents to find overall I think this was a pretty well done blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Kim! I liked how you explained how you go the answers. I really liked that you chose to explain with two pictures which really helped maybe a lot of people. I liked that you changed the colour of each question. But most of all, I really liked that you added a video although its not the way we do it and also the link. Overall I personally think that you did a great job and showed what a nice post should be :) keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Job Kim! I like the pictures. How you explain your answe. I like the video the link and i really like that you changed the colour to each question. You really did a good job on your scribe post so Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Job Kim! I likes how you explained it descriptively. I liked how you add pictures so that people will understand it easily. Your video is absolutely amazing, your video helped me to understand it BETTER. Overall kim you did an AMAZING and FABULOUS job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job, Kim! I liked how you made your own photos and with every question you explained it. I liked the games you chose. This scribe post will surely help me whenever I get stuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kim. I really really like your scribe post. Your scribe post was the best in seen. I like how you made your font big for people to see more better. I also like that you divide the sections to part 1 and part 2 for it not to look confusing. Its cool that you made your pictures and write it instead of taking it from the computer. The pictures were great. The video and link that you have put it was fun to watch and play and it really helped me a lot. becuase of you you made it more easier to understand so thanks. Good Job Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. good post kim i like how you used all pictures and games so we can get a better understanding. I think this post was outstanding and i like how you couldnt find a video to on the right steps but improvised with a video close to the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Kim i love your post. I like how you explianed each of your pictures so we knew what you were doing. You did a great good! I also like how you put links for use to play math games. Your information was so helpful. Thank you ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. goodjob Kim! your post was really helpful for me to read over your work on how to do the show you knows! I liked how you added some images to show how you did it and you explained how you got your answer very well! Your post was also really readable and it isn't hard to understand! your links and video also helped alot! but make sure you keep your video on the same topic on how you did your post okay! well other than that goodjob Kim! (=

    ReplyDelete