Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kim's Pay It Forward

Part 1:
The movie that we watched called "Pay It Forward" is a movie that us grade eights all had to watch. In the movie, a young child names Trevor had to think of how to make a difference in the world because of their project they were going to be doing in Social Studies. For his project, he had a unique and amazing idea that was different but more effective than all the others. His plan was a system called "Pay It Forward", where you give someone an act of kindness, and that person spreads the act of kindness to 3 more people, then the chain continues. In another way of saying this, Trevor made a difference to a whole bunch of people, starting with just one person. Trevor explained his idea with this quote during an interview he had.

"You see, I do something real good for three people. And then when they ask how they can pay it back, I say they have to Pay It Forward...to three more people. Each. So, nine people get helped. Then those people have to do twenty-seven." He turned on the calculator, punched in a few numbers. "Then it sort of spreads out, see, to eighty-one, then two hundred forty-three, then seven hundred twenty-nine, then two thousand, one hundred eighty-seven. See how big it gets?"

Part 2:
The Pay it Forward act of kindness I decided to do was to help a senior and to give them a cheerful smile at the end of the day. At first we were supposed to go to Winnipeg Harvest and Siloam Mission to interview a homeless man's story, but what was the difference anyways? Everyone has a different story, and I think that is what's important. I chose to help out with a senior because I think they should have some fun too. I thought that if I was willing to what they had to say, their past, or maybe just something that they had always kept from someone, I can make their worries disappear and help them understand that they aren't the only ones. I wanted to help because no matter what age, gender, or race, everyone deserves to have a smile on their face. What me and my partner did was keep her company from 6 am, to 12 noon. We brought her presents, baked with her, and she even told us stories about her past. We interviewed her about how she felt about society now a days, and we even got a lesson from her. Her lesson to us was that even if you are just a kid, if you believe, you can make a difference. We did our act of kindness on November 13, 2011 from 6am, to 2:00 in the afternoon to give her more presents.

Part 3:
My act of kindness overall went smoothly! Surprisingly, I somehow cried when we interviewed her because of 1, she was like the grandmother I never really had, and 2, she made me understand that no matter how much life get's, there are going to be obstacles, and we're just going to have to keep on going. When we asked her how she felt about world poverty, she replied to it so seriously. I think that was the most important answer we had from her at that time because she says that there shouldn't be a reason for all these wars or so much starvation. She stated that there are millions of dollars going to waste, yet we don't even do anything. I felt very open afterwards, like all the problems I had were nothing compared to what I realized. I felt stupid because there I was interviewing someone I barely knew, yet she knew so much and to me understands that everything you do impacts something or someone. The lady we were interviewing reacted to understanding when we shared our thoughts and ideas, and she was also very kind. It felt as if even if she had a disability, she could make a difference too, and she believed that we could also. We told her about the "Pay it Forward" project we were doing and she believed that it would work. She accepted our invitation to interview her and told us she was going to tell all her other senior friends too!

Part 4:
The idea of Pay It Forward is important because it shows us that one simple act of gesture like putting smile on someone's face would make a difference. Maybe they were having a hard time and needed someone to say everything was going to be alright. It doesn't matter whether it is big or small, what matters is that at the end of the day, we decided that we will make a difference. Who knows, if everyone in the world started doing this project, think of all the changes it would make. My act of kindness definitely made a difference because we helped her put on a smile on her face and gave her one less thing to worry about. It also worked because we now know that other people in the world want to help, they just don't know how to start.





VIDEO #1:








VIDE0#2


5 comments:

  1. Hi Kim.. I have a question... How did you meet her(the senior)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually met her because she is my dad's old co-workers mom, and he introduced her to us. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Pay it Forward post was really interesting and quite understandable :) You did a great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on your pay it forward kim! it was really interesting and i like your video that you made. you did make a difference by putting a smile on her face. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete