Ratio - It is a comparison of quantities that have the same units.
Rate - A comparison of 2 quantities measured in different units.
Proportion - An equation that states two ratios (fractions) are equivalent.
1. 5 hours to travel 360 miles is about _____ mph.
hours 5 (÷5) 1
- -------- -------- = --------
- 2. As a playgroup worker,if I increase the amount of apple juice I am serving at the playgroup from 25 ml to 100 ml, how much should I increase the the orange juice to, to keep the quantities in the same proportion? The orange juice is 50 ml to start with.
- apple juice 25ml x4 100ml
- ----------------- -------- = ---------
- orange juice 50ml x4 200ml
What are three ways you canprove that equivalent ratio statements are true ?
3/4 = 12/16
1. Does this seem fair ?. In my opinion, I do not it is fair.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair ? Why have you made this choice ?
I think that this does not seem just or fair in any way at all because Paul R. Allen only got a 40 months (3 years) sentence in jail for steeling 3 BILLION dollars, while a homeless man stole $100 bill from a bank and got a 15 years sentence in jail even though he turned himself in, after realizing what he did was wrong but he only did that because he actually needed some money. Paul R. Allen stole way more than half of what Roy Brown stole and he got sentenced to less than half of what the judge sentenced Paul R. Allen, which I find racist and revolting in so many ways.
3. What would you have done if you were the judge ?
I would've put Paul R. Allen to jail for 15 years instead of Roy Brown, maybe even twice as long or more. Because for steeling that much money is just unforgivable and what would he have done with that much money anyway ?! For Roy Brown's time in jail, I would've decided for about 40 months (3 years) or less since he turned himself in and didn't take all the money the teller gave him. In this case, he actually needed the money and not just to spend it on his own pleasure but o he could put a roof under his head.